laptop internet connection problem

wavyglanbles85 20:35 26 Aug 06

Specifications:

Laptop:
E Systems 3083, Intel Celeron M 380, 1.6Ghz, 512mb RAM (Supplied with USB adapter: 802.11g)

Router:
Belkin F5D7230uk4 Version 4, G 802.11g, 54 mbps

ISP: Telewest Broadband

I am having problems as the router seems to pick up the signal from the wireless adapter but my laptop still doesn't seem to connect to any internet page. When hovering over the wireless icon on my laptop, it says connection: completed, and signal: excellent; but every internet page has 'cannot find server'. I already rang up the Belkin helpline and went through a series of power tests involving the router and modem and it's not that...

Though when installing I have connected the router to my Telewest modem via a grey ethernet cable, but i also need to connect a blue ehternet cable to a slot on the back of my desktop computer (such a slot I don't have) so I don't know if this is another issue or not.

Please help me

Thanks in advance

ade.h 21:08 26 Aug 06

Client firewall? Check whether it is configured to allow internet traffic through the LAN. DHCP server? Check the client list in the router's config interface and check that the IP assigned to the problem client is correct - 192.168.2.1 for the Belkin router's gateway, typically 2.2 onwards for wired clients and the next available after that for wireless clients. Basically in all the numbers from 2.2 onwards. Then check that your client's iternet connection settings are set to use the LAN.

ade.h 21:09 26 Aug 06

Also run ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the problem client and make sure that the IP and DNS match what the DHCP server should be assigning.

wavyglanbles85 21:58 26 Aug 06

I'm really sorry but are you able to give me a step-by-step on how to do these?

Thank you

ade.h 22:19 26 Aug 06

Firewall: depends entirely what you use, so that one's got to be between you and the manual. DHCP client list: enter the router's config interface and you'll see the client list on the top of the left pane. Client IP/DNS: Run a command prompt (cmd or command) and enter ipconfig /all, as I described. Cross-check the results against the router's data.

mgmcc 08:33 27 Aug 06

<<< Though when installing I have connected the router to my Telewest modem via a grey ethernet cable, but i also need to connect a blue ehternet cable to a slot on the back of my desktop computer (such a slot I don't have) so I don't know if this is another issue or not. >>>

To configure the router initially, you need to connect to it by ethernet cable. If your PC doesn't have an ethernet port, use the laptop instead.

Power everything off including the Cable Modem, which should be left without power for a couple of minutes. This is important so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address which it has allocated to it. A new connection will then be found and a different IP address allocated to it.

Connect an ethernet cable between the router's WAN (Wide Area Network - Internet) port and the modem's ethernet port. Connect a second ethernet cable between one of the router's LAN ports and the computer's network port (which can be the laptop's). Power on the modem and wait for it to boot fully with all lights on. Then boot the router and wait for it to be running fully and, finally boot the computer.

Type 192.168.2.1 into your web browser and you should be able to access the router's Setup. For Cable, you use the most basic connection. I don't remember the description in a Belkin router, but you *DON'T* use PPPoE and there is *NO* Username or Password used. If you are following a Setup Wizard, it will probably perform a test at the end to check you have an internet connection. With me, this has failed with all routers I've set up, although after completing the wizard, there isn't a problem.

Once you are online with the wired connection, look at the wireless settings and, when configured, you can then connect wirelessly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5