Laptop information

23790954 23:03 18 Jan 06

My daughter-in-law who runs her own hair salon is hoping to computerise her booking system, and would prefer to use a laptop rather than a desktop computer. Although as a pensioner I build and repair the family desktop computers, I am totally ignorant as to the use of laptops.
I am seeking information on repairing laptops, e.g. changing hard drives etc., the use of laptops, and any recommendations on a laptop suitable for this purpose. Many thanks for any help given.

woodchip 23:20 18 Jan 06

You cannot, or I would not start taking a Laptop apart. As they are tricky to work with Nigh on impossible to update anything, other than Memory and Hard Drive, These are normally behind plates on the bottom of the Laptop

This should do the Job click here

Forum Editor 23:32 18 Jan 06

in every respect.........except one. You might happily open up a PC's case and swap components with ease, but you won't be doing that with a laptop. These machines are designed to be portable, and that means making them slim, and as light as possible. Packing all the components that go to making up a modern computer into a space that small, and then finding space for a powerful battery is a masterpiece of electronic engineering, and it comes at a price.

Laptops cost more initially, and they are not as fully upgradeable as PC's. You can change the hard drive, add more RAM, and that's about it as far as the average user is concerned.

Having said that, laptops are superbly specified nowadays, and although you might want to add more RAM (which is very easy to do) you are unlikely to feel the need for further upgrades during the machine's working life. There are very obvious advantages associated with working on a laptop for someone in your daughter's situation - she can carry her bookwork back and forth from her business to her home, which is precisely the kind of situation in which laptops win out over PCs.

Just remind her that she should back everything up on a regular basis - a USB pen drive is the ideal tool - because a dropped laptop can mean lost data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…