Laptop help please

cina 17:19 13 Jan 04

I have just been offerred an old laptop for £100. i only want it to run Word and access the internet. Trouble is it only has 500MB of hard disk. Everything else OK. It doedsn';t have a nodem so i am willing to install one. Question is will i have eniugh memory to run a modem and support the isp's software. At the moment it is running Win95. Has anyone run Windows Lite before?

Diodorus Siculus 18:17 13 Jan 04

I run windows lite as part of a multiboot setup - pretty good, but if you have Win95 there is no real advantage in going for it.

What is the processor speed / RAM of the laptop? That is more important.

Big Elf 19:51 13 Jan 04

My old Dell Latitude has a Pentium 133, 40MB RAM and a 750MB hard disk. It's got Windows 95 and had the full install of Office 2000 Professional on it. You will also be able to remove some windows components to save space e.g. screensavers, wallpapers and other stuff that doesn't spring to mind at the moment. I also installed a few other applications and had about 100MB free. It will be tight but should do it particularly if you just install the modem drivers and not the additional software that come with them.

Kitz E Kat 21:51 13 Jan 04

Dunno, Stg100 , is a bit dear, if you got it for nothin sure!!!!

If you look around you should get a higher spec for not much (if anything) more, i would think...

You can dump all the unneed bits of windows and free up space , but you should have Anti virus software installed , that's gonna make it tight...

Also its Stg100 plus the cost of a card and a dongle, so it's gonna cost more than its worth....
Oh yeah and the battery is probably on its last legs, more money....
Take it for nothin or leave it....

cina 23:04 13 Jan 04

Some good advice

Gaz 25 23:13 13 Jan 04

AVG antivirus will not use up much!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…