laptop help

VICKY02 11:20 31 Mar 06

i have currenly purchased a new laptop and i would like to access the internet off my laptop via my main pc with them being networked.
could someone please tell me how to start this...all i know is that i use a router? very confused!

Danoh 11:27 31 Mar 06

Is your internet access for your main PC connected to a phone socket or is to a cable modem from someone like NTL?
That will affect which type of router you will need.

Where are you likely to use your laptop in relation to your main PC? The wireless radio wave coverage is key, and is easiest if there are not great distances involved, nor too many barriers (metal, thick brick walls, water, etc).

VICKY02 11:30 31 Mar 06

main pc has cable modem from telewest broadband and say i wanted to use the laptop unstairs whereas the pc is downstairs. dont really want to make the pc wireless tho.

Danoh 11:37 31 Mar 06

You will need wireless routers which do not have "ADSL" any where in its description. Standard 802.11g should be sufficient if the router is placed centrally in the house (if you don't have a palatial mansion, that is :-).
Go for routers which provide WPA rather then WEP data encryption.

That's it really, apart from the setting up, etc., which we can get to later.

VICKY02 11:46 31 Mar 06

right...seems striaght forward..lol
thank you
x x x

Danoh 22:32 31 Mar 06

Now you just have to short-list the zillions of router makes and models! :-)

Post back with the make and models on your shortlist and someone here is most likely to know or own one and will comment.

VICKY02 17:30 01 Apr 06

DI-624 Wireless Router
will this router be any good? i think its the one you said. the standard 802.11g?

ade.h 17:38 01 Apr 06

D-Links are alright. 3Coms and Belkins are my favourites, though. Nicer configs as much as anything.

InXP 23:44 01 Apr 06

I replaced my Wanadoo wired broadband modem with a BELKIN 802.11G WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER F5D9012uk. This is connected to my PC (upstairs) via a network cable. My laptop is an Acer Aspire Centrino model and works well with it anywhere in the house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…