Laptop HDD replacement

Chuffchuffbuff 21:19 PM 25 Apr 12

I want to replace the HDD in my daughter's Acer laptop. I can make backup disks from the current drive can I use these to install the OS onto the replacement drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 PM 25 Apr 12

Be careful of the difference between a Backup and a Clone.

You really need to Clone the drive

When you use the Disk Clone tool, you copy all contents of one hard disk drive onto another hard disk drive: as a result, both the source and the target disk have the same data. This function allows you to transfer all the information (including the operating system and installed programs) from a small hard disk drive to a large one without having to reinstall and reconfigure all of your software. Disk Clone operation it is not generally used as a backup strategy, as it offers little flexibility.

In general, disk clone is a one time operation designed to clone one disk to a different one for the purpose of migrating to a larger hard drive or to a new machine.

Chuffchuffbuff 12:49 PM 26 Apr 12

Thanks for that. I assumed the system backup / rescue disk which Acer tell you to create when you get the laptop could be used. I will try cloning before i swap drives. Is there a recommended program to use, preferably shareware or freeware? I would prefer not to have to buy an expensive program I'll probably only use once.

Strawballs 13:46 PM 26 Apr 12

You can download a program to do this from the maker of the drive you end up buying that are usually based on Acronis which is highly recommended on here.

Chuffchuffbuff 08:27 AM 29 Apr 12

Thank you both for your advice, I'll buy Acronis and go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11