Laptop HDD replacement

Chuffchuffbuff 21:19 PM 25 Apr 12
Answered

I want to replace the HDD in my daughter's Acer laptop. I can make backup disks from the current drive can I use these to install the OS onto the replacement drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 PM 25 Apr 12
Answer

Be careful of the difference between a Backup and a Clone.

You really need to Clone the drive

When you use the Disk Clone tool, you copy all contents of one hard disk drive onto another hard disk drive: as a result, both the source and the target disk have the same data. This function allows you to transfer all the information (including the operating system and installed programs) from a small hard disk drive to a large one without having to reinstall and reconfigure all of your software. Disk Clone operation it is not generally used as a backup strategy, as it offers little flexibility.

In general, disk clone is a one time operation designed to clone one disk to a different one for the purpose of migrating to a larger hard drive or to a new machine.

Chuffchuffbuff 12:49 PM 26 Apr 12

Thanks for that. I assumed the system backup / rescue disk which Acer tell you to create when you get the laptop could be used. I will try cloning before i swap drives. Is there a recommended program to use, preferably shareware or freeware? I would prefer not to have to buy an expensive program I'll probably only use once.

Donald.

Strawballs 13:46 PM 26 Apr 12

You can download a program to do this from the maker of the drive you end up buying that are usually based on Acronis which is highly recommended on here.

Chuffchuffbuff 08:27 AM 29 Apr 12

Thank you both for your advice, I'll buy Acronis and go ahead.

Donald

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…