Laptop HDD Query

speedbird_zero1 11:52 09 Jul 04

Hello, i have a Compaq laptop with a 20gb harddrive, running Win XP Home. there are no problems at all except the Hard drive is nearly full. i want to put in a bigger HDD but i am confused as to this whole XP thing it came pre installed, how do i move lock stock and barrel onto the new hard drive and keep the OS. I have been told that i am in for loads of problems. Any help please would be appreciated. Thank you.Mike

Diodorus Siculus 12:11 09 Jul 04

Do you have a system / restore disk? If not it can be difficult.

You may have to buy an XP CD - you can get an OEM version along with your hdd.

TomJerry 12:28 09 Jul 04

(1) Get a big hard driver (2.5" laptop version of course). You can get 7200rpm version which is fast, but at lease get 5400rpm version, 4200rpm is clow

(2) Get a external harddrive enclosures, for example, 2.5" USB 2.0 Aluminium Laptop Hard Drive Case £14.95 from click here assume you have usb port in your laptop. Put your new laptop HDD into it. So you have an external HDD.

(3) Get a copy of Acronis True Image 7.0 click here and install it on your laptop.

(4) Connect external HDD, start True Image and "Clone" (not copy) the whole HDD to new one.

(5) Swap new HDD with old one. It now should works. You may need to activate Windows XP again, but just a phone call to Microsoft will sort out.

(6) Put old HDD into the case, you also have an external hard drive for backup purpose now.

(7) You may need to resize the partition size of your new harddrive, but many tools for this again.

speedbird_zero1 12:33 09 Jul 04

Diodorus Siculus. yes for sure i have all the legit discs paperwork etc all from compaq

Diodorus Siculus 12:50 09 Jul 04

speedbird_zero1 - I was not suggesting otherwise :-)

As you have a disk from Compaq, it may be possible for you to put in the new hdd and then run the recovery procedure.

speedbird_zero1 12:58 09 Jul 04

just spoke to Compaq and they have said just the same as you Diodorus Siculus.
THANKS EVERYBODY

TomJerry 13:51 09 Jul 04

With this way, you keep the exactly the same system, i.e. keep all your own files and also change you made. Moreover, you have an external portable HDD for backup purpose.

gobi 14:07 09 Jul 04

I am also looking for solution to the same problem. I will try TomJerry's way. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…