Laptop hdd

Daiol 21:58 07 Sep 10

I have a asus laptop with a hdd partitioned C & D,The operating system is on the C section.
Now if i delete the 'D' section i know i will loose my info thats on that but i will be doing a backup.Will the hdd then will only have 'C' section and the full existing 120gb.
Next.The hdd is in FAT32 format if its possible to delete the 'D' section now can I format the 'C' section to 'NTFS' & of course without disturbing the partition on 'C' where the operating software now is installed.If all to this is 'YES'is it gonna be complicated?.
[IMG]click here
Thanks Daiol

Daiol 22:00 07 Sep 10

Sorry image went wrong.
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:36 07 Sep 10

BACKUP before doing anything else.

What op system?
XP needs 3rd party software, Vista and 7, you can merge partitions in disk management.

To convert to NTFS without losing data

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Daiol 08:24 08 Sep 10

Thanks,My op system is windows xp pro.Can I convert both C & D and leave the op system as it it as per image?.
Ta.D

Prish 08:48 08 Sep 10

Yeah you can.. Defrag n scan your disk completely before you do..
And don forget to back up, jus to be sure..

Daiol 09:28 08 Sep 10

Hi,Followed the info regarding cmd etc after typing in convert D:/fs:ntfs it then asked me for to
'enter the current volume label for D'
Help please on this last question.
Ta.

woodchip 09:34 08 Sep 10

First thing First, if you do not have a full Operating System CD, NOT A RECOVERY CD. You should first Create a Image of the Operating System Partition to a External Drive using Acronis True Image. As if it goes all wrong how will you get it back. Then you can do what you want with the drive

woodchip 09:36 08 Sep 10

PS other Partition may be the Restore Partition or there may be a hidden partition as well

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:03 08 Sep 10

The volume label is the name of the partition, in your case (from your image) DATA

Your C: has no volume name so just press "enter"

Daiol 12:27 08 Sep 10

Thanks all,Well I did the convert of 'D',Now regading the 'C' can I do the same on that if yes will it affect the part where my os is?
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:13 08 Sep 10

Yes you can do the same to C: it shouldn't upset the OS.

DO NOT try and convert the Recovery partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5