Laptop HDD

Jamie-251407 19:36 19 Apr 07

Can enyone tell me if I take the HDD out of my now bust laptop and put it in a external enclosure will I still be able to use the programs that are on that drive.

Technotiger 19:47 19 Apr 07

Hi, possibly, but probably not all. Some may need items in the registry which are put there during installation. You would of course be able to save any data from the old drive, like letters/pictures and so on.

Jamie-251407 20:01 19 Apr 07

Hi thanks Technotiger, the main ones are the copy of XP that i installed only a few months ago and Norton anti has not been on there long do you think they would work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 19 Apr 07

No neither will work if placed into another machine.

The drivers in XP will be wrong for the new machine and Norton is higly entwined in the registry.

Technotiger 20:18 19 Apr 07

Do you not have the original XP CD? Personally, I would say good-riddance to Norton - but that is just my opinion.

Technotiger 20:21 19 Apr 07

I think your best plan for the old hard drive is to put it in an enclosure and use it as extra storage - you could use something like Acronis and save your back-up to the external drive. You are going to do a back-up, aren't you!

Jamie-251407 20:34 19 Apr 07

OK guys thanks for your help. I know that I could get pictures etc from it and use it for storage but was not sure about programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…