laptop harddrive.

gengiscant 19:16 29 Jun 09

Have been given a laptop,a Toshiba satellite SP10-504 minus its harddrive,being a desktop man not really sure if any 2.5 harddrive will do for a laptop.

Have been look around Ebay, are these suitable?
click here

Not looking to spend to much so any advice welcome.
cheers.

DieSse 19:35 29 Jun 09

Most laptops I've ever seen use a standard 2.5" drive

BUT many of them need to drive to be mounted in some sort of holder, which differs from laptop to laptop - the last one I saw even had a connector to the drive in the holder to mate to a connector in the laptop.

Without the appropriate mounting hardware you could be totally stymied. Or you may be OK (!)

PO79 19:40 29 Jun 09

..be wary, and do your homework first. I have an HP dv9850ea laptop to which I wanted to add a matching 250gb drive. Sourcing the drive was not a problem, but the holder/frame required to mount it I had to order from the USA.

Technotiger 19:50 29 Jun 09

This is not your particular model, but it does show a typical hard-drive fitting - notice the 'case', if yours is complete with the hard-drive case, then virtually any 2.5inch laptop hard-drive will fit.

click here

Technotiger 19:57 29 Jun 09

I think this is your model ... click here

gengiscant 21:02 29 Jun 09

I already found that site thanks.So does that mean any 2.5 will do? As its under the optical drive I will have to take thickness into account or are all laptop hdd the same thickness.

Cheers.

Technotiger 21:14 29 Jun 09

All those that I have seen are the same in dimensions. Does yours have the 'case' (for want of a better name) for the hard-drive, if so you should not have any problems.

woodchip 21:35 29 Jun 09

The Medion Laptop I have as a Clip that fits the drive so that it can be screwed down, you also need to know what type of drive fits it ATA or SATA.

Hitachi in my Medion and its a ATA, but you need to check the type

woodchip 21:36 29 Jun 09

older frame should take off and fit on new drive it did on mine when I fitted a bigger driver

Strawballs 22:08 29 Jun 09

There is an article on changing laptop hard drives in this months PCA.

gengiscant 23:40 29 Jun 09

No case, under the optical drive is a flat metal plate covering a 7.5 x 10.5 .5 hole for the hdd.

woodchip
ATA
Strawballs
Thanks, it not the changing, I have already removed optical drive and plate as described in Technotiger response, I am just making sure that I get the correct type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…