Laptop hard drive into a tabletop! is it possible?

tigerb 12:11 15 Feb 05

I have a Toshiba laptop with a duff screen, but everything else works fine (win 2000). I also have a Fujitsu base unit that as a duff hard drive (win 98 se 128ram) but everything else is ok, is it possible for me to put the laptops hard drive into the base unit with out to much trouble.
Thank you for any ideas.

TomJerry 12:16 15 Feb 05

you can do it, but you need an adaptor which is not cheap, think it costs around £30, so it maybe better for you to get desktop HDD (3.5") because it is much cheaper than laptop HDD (2.5").

40GB HDD costs around £30, the same as 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor

laptop HDD is slower as well

FelixTCat 12:27 15 Feb 05

You can get a laptop - desktop adapter for £4.42 plus shipping - see click here

Note that this includes the mounting rails and fixing screws.

Stuartli 12:39 15 Feb 05

120GB HDDs from brands such as Seagate and Maxtor at £50 and a few pennies from:

click here

80GB Hitachi £33 plus many others at:

click here

Prices all include VAT - delivery to be added.

FelixTCat 14:17 15 Feb 05

tigerb

You may well find that the laptop's drive will not boot in the desktop because of all the different motherboard devices.

If that is the case, you will have to reformat or, if you want to keep all the data, reinstall the operating system.

tigerb 15:40 15 Feb 05

Thanks all for responding, if I don't try to fit the laptop hard drive is it possible to buy 3.5" drives formated and with an operating system already on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 15 Feb 05

Not much point in having Op sys pre installed as still need to load drivers for your mother board and graphics card etc.

tigerb 16:21 18 Feb 05

Thanks Fcat have sent away for adapter and bought a 99p firewire cable at the same time.
Will have fun trying to get it up and running and will no doubt need some more advice from the kind people on PCA.

FelixTCat 16:27 18 Feb 05

Goody. See you back soon! Fiddling with computers is such fun and you met such nice people :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…