Laptop Hard Drive Replacement

RussG 19:30 24 Sep 07

Hi - hoping someone can help.
The hard drive on my wife's laptop, Dell Inspiron 1100, has taken a turn for the worse. It's Four years old and it has had a good and useful life(but now it is dead). I am inclined to replace it if I can get one at a reasonable price. Drives from Dell seem to cost around £120 + so not so keen, I have seen laptop drives for £30 on the net, but are they compatible with said Dell Inspiron 1100.
Can anyone offer any advise.
Thanks
RussG

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 24 Sep 07

TAke it out have a look at it.

You may find its a Toshiba drive,

measre and check pysical dimensions when out of its "adaptor plate" some are slightly thicker than others.
9.5mm and 11mm seem to spring to mind.

RussG 20:32 24 Sep 07

Thanks for your reply - So I really just need to get something the same size, there is nothing unique or different about Dell compatible drives?
RussG

wee eddie 20:45 24 Sep 07

Laptops are made with such fine tolerances, as to the internal spaces, that you will need to get "exactly" the right replacement drive.

ambra4 21:01 24 Sep 07

Try here

click here

RussG 21:04 24 Sep 07

Thanks All, opened her up and found a Toshiba as Fruit Bat suggested, just found the same model on Ebay and ordered it for £25 including PP (chap had 100% positive feedback so worth a punt!)
Cheers
RussG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…