laptop hard drive how to get rid of password

bigboab y 11:10 08 Oct 06

Bought a fujitsu MHR 2020at hard drive on Ebay.. put it in my lappy and I am getting a screen saying "this hard drive is password protected""... the seller (a recycler ) has no idea what the password is ... how do I get rid of it?? Thanks in anticipation.

Taff™ 11:26 08 Oct 06

Do you intend to install a new OS on the drive (i.e. Wipe the new HDD and start from scratch?) If so does your laptop have a floppy drive &/or CD ROM drive and do you have a method to install the new OS?

bigboab y 11:38 08 Oct 06

I tried putting my windows ME disc in the drive..to see if it would boot from there... but I cant get into the bios to change the boot sequence I have a W98 start up floppy which should let me in to format the drive which I assume would clear the drive of the password

Taff™ 11:47 08 Oct 06

You should be able to do it either way but why can`t you get into the BIOS? What make and model is the laptop?

bigboab y 11:57 08 Oct 06

Its a working DELL latitude CP .I am trying to replace the 6 gigger thats in it...I am now getting into setup and running the Me install disc ... but it keeps telling me it cant find the hard drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 08 Oct 06

F2 while booting gets into BIOS on a Dell latitude

Also try Fn+F1.

You can sometimes do a format from the BIOS depending on BIOS maker.

VoG II 12:03 08 Oct 06

F2 to access BIOS click here

Taff™ 12:15 08 Oct 06

Only last week I helped a mate get rid of a Dell Latitude CPI BIOS Password on a virtually ex-factory second hand laptop.

This click here is the site I used to get the info - it covers HDD passwords as well - do read it!

T0SH 12:26 08 Oct 06

Hard drive passwords are an ATA security feature the password is stored and read from the drive platter not in an eeprom so unless you have the password or can guess it the drive is junk

More information on this subject here click here

there are people posting here who claim to be able to remove passwords but approach with caution
click here

Cheers HC

ed-0 12:36 08 Oct 06

it's possible that it could have come out of a mac or using NTFS.

they are plenty of tools from Fujitsu, to try and format the drive. click here

bigboab y 12:39 08 Oct 06

Dont know from whence it cameth.. but theseller said he had formatted it to ntfs ... would that make a difference???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac