laptop hard drive formatting

Skulkin 17:06 31 Dec 06

Hi all

I'm in a net cafe and my times nearly up so I'll be brief

I've got serious problems with my desktop which I'll cover another time but for now....

I've been given an old Dell latitude laptop
It has a tiny 6gb hard drive and although it says it has NT loaded it has XP

It won't boot properly but I can 'F8' and get the options up and strt with command prompt or safe mode etc,

How can I get from C:\documents and settings\skulkin to format this drive so i can reload it with nt or 98se

typing c:\ doesnt seem to be understood

Many thanks in advance for any replies & a Happy New Year to all you clever people out there!!

time almost out

gotta go

Cheers

Skulkin :0)

Taff™ 17:12 31 Dec 06

At a command prompt try typing "cd c:" without quotes

Pengy1 10:47 01 Jan 07

Has it got a floppy drive?If so you will need to boot the machine with a floppy boot disk with the Windows cd in the cd rom.You can make one on any machine which has Win 98 on it or download one from the web.

Skulkin 10:19 03 Jan 07

Hi all

Me again :o((

Pengy1- it has got a floppy drive OR cd rom.
They are interchangeable.
will your idea still work or will it need both at the same time?

Taff™ "At a command prompt try typing "cd c:" without quotes"
If i f8 at startup i get to 'windows advanced options menu'...
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
enable boot logging
enable vga mode
etc

I choose "safe mode with command prompt
" it then logs into xp and the window cmd.exe pops up showing c:\ documents and settings\skulkin>
c: -> does nothing but same message
c:\ -> shows 'c:\' is not rcognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
cd c -> gets "the system cannot find the path specified"
cd c: -> gets c:\ documents and settings\skulkin>
cd c:\ -> gets c:
HOPEFULLY THATS WHAT I WANT(?)

BUT at c:\...

format c:\ -> gets "the type of file system is ntfs"
warning:-
proceed <y/n>
y -> "verifying 5762m"
"format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID
would you like to force a dismount on this volume/ <y/n>"
y -> cannot lock the drive. the volume is still in use"
c:\>_

Are there any more/other ideas anyone can think of??
Or should i just give up and try and get another drive off ebay or maybe second hand from a shop??
Or just give up?

All help is truly appreciated

Regards and respect to all

Cheers

Skulkin :0)

ed-0 10:46 03 Jan 07

A few options for you

1) use system restore from " safe mode with command promt " with %systemroot%system32 estore strui.exe click here If windows will not load. Thats just to fix windows.

2) to format the small hard drive, download and run killdisk free version click here. Either pop it on a floppy or burn to a cd. Make sure you select the correct drive to format. You should be able to load windows after this.

ps

It sounds as if you are trying to format "C", while in windows. This will not work. Try killdisk if you just want to wipe the disk.

Taff™ 13:40 03 Jan 07

Sorry I forgot the backslash! ed-0 has given a couple of good suggestions. You could download a 98 Boot Disk from click here burn it to a floppy and follow the instructions which are also on the same site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…