laptop hard drive

huntish 15:58 20 Nov 08

I need a new hard drive for my toshiba laptop are all laptop hard drives the same or do I need to get one specifically for mine

FreeCell 16:02 20 Nov 08

What model Toshiba?

Laptop hard drives are either IDE or SATA. Depending on age of laptop most likely an IDE but you need a 2.5 inch not a 3.5 inch.

chub_tor 16:34 20 Nov 08

If you need a SATA drive for a Toshiba I can recommend this one click here I cecked with Toshiba support on line before I purchased it and they confirmed that it was suitable. I would recommend that you do check with them to make sure whether your machine has IDE or SATA and how big a drive that your BIOS will support.

The Toshiba support page is click here and you can email them. I got my answer in 2 days, not exactly swift but cheaper tha a phone call.

huntish 13:48 22 Nov 08

hi thanks for the help.the one thats in now is a SATA one its 60gig

woodchip 13:54 22 Nov 08

To ad to other Posts, You are better sticking with same make Hard Drive as some will only work with that Drive, Hitachi Seems to be one of the main Laptop Drives

David4637 15:09 22 Nov 08

I was thinking about using a larger HD in my Tosh lappy, but I could not find the email address you were referring to in your link, can you please let me know where to find it or provide another link? Thanks David

AL47 15:17 22 Nov 08

i took an 80gb out of my dell laptop and fitted a 200gb 7200 seagate drive, then i took out my laptops cd drive and fitted another 320gb WD drive there

chub_tor 16:00 22 Nov 08

The first link that I provided should take you straight to a Toshiba 320Gb drive sold by ebuyer. I also bought a 2.5" external drive caddy and used Acronis True Image. I connected the new 320Gb unit in the caddy first, used True Image 11 to clone the complete hard drive in the laptop to the new drive. Then took the new drive out of the caddy, the old drive out of the laptop and swapped them over. Job done no problems.

If you want to contact Toshiba Support then go to the page I gave you, look under Communicate, Toshiba Contact Information and you will find a phone hnumber and an email address OR you can go the Forum under Communicate, register there and ask you question. I got replies both via email and from the Forum.

David4637 14:46 23 Nov 08

Thanks for the info on Tosh support. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…