Laptop Hard Disk Problem

jz 23:02 30 Jun 06

A friend has a hard disk in his laptop that appears to be failing. He now can't boot from it. He's going to get a new hard disk and install Windows on it, then try to recover his files from the failing hard disk.

I know what to do in a desk top (put the failing hard disk in a working desk top PC as a slave, and copy stuff to the boot disk. I guess he can't do this in a laptop because it has, I assume, only one slot for a hard drive.

What can he do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 30 Jun 06

Install into an external caddy or usb to ide adaptor

click here

jz 23:13 30 Jun 06

Thanks Fruit Bat.

The one in your link appears to be for 3.5" disks, not laptop disks (which I assume aren't IDE). Is there an equivalent for laptop disks?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:31 30 Jun 06

Yes they do both, bought one from a fair recently that would do 2.5 and 3.5 HDDs £7

josie mayhem 23:33 30 Jun 06

Yes there are, I know that ebuyer do them, i did get my from another comany but i can't remember where, aother companies, pcworld, dabs ect

DieSse 00:50 01 Jul 06

This one definately does both types of drive - as you say, 2.5" drives are not the same cabling as 3.5"

click here

If you google around you'll find similar in the UK - or as FB says you can get them from fairs, and stores.

Or this adapter can run the drive in a desktop system click here

Or even a cheap external box click here

jz 08:00 02 Jul 06

Thanks for your replies everyone. Very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now