Laptop hangs when using Outlook Express

car nut 22:20 01 Jul 05

I recently passed my laptop to my parents. Before doing so, I used the recovery disk to put it back to its original state. I then re-installed Norton Anti Virus 2005 and the Microsoft updates.

Now, when they check their email (that's their limit right now) it keeps hanging. All they can do is hold down the Power button until it goes off.
I tell them to leave it for approx 60 seconds and switch on again. Scandisk then runs but it gets stuck quickly and moves no further. It says it's restarted 10 times because another program is writing to it, so I started it in Safe Mode to bypass all the start files. It found a few errors and fixed them but the message came up about restarting 10 times in the middle of doing that. It wouldn't let me bring up taskmanager. It said computer is busy or unstable. My Dad has just phoned to say it's frozen again.

I've looked at MS Knowledge Base No.222469 on the subject.

Has anyone got any ideas on why its hanging?
Is this problem with Scandisk storing up problems if it won't run?

Thanks

woodchip 22:26 01 Jul 05

Remove Norton and put free AVAST on click here

alltime 09:10 02 Jul 05

Yes agree with woodchip, get rid of norton its nothing but trouble.

car nut 09:56 02 Jul 05

Yes, I've got Avast on my new PC and I think it's excellent.

But I had Norton AV when I had the laptop (running Windows ME by the way) and I had no problems with the system hanging while checking emails or Scandisk not completing when it was running after an improper shutdown, so I don't think that can be the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…