Laptop hamster working overtime!

dave_johnston2k 12:38 29 Sep 04

Hi guys,

Recently my laptop seems to get very hot very quickly, the fan is really working overtime to earn its keep. I am running a Pentium 4 3.06Ghz processor with 512MB RAM. All I use the machine for is internet access and music editing. It also is taking a while to shut down these days. Any idea of the problem??

JonnyTub 12:44 29 Sep 04

give it a spring clean, clear your temp files, defrag the hd, etc.

dave_johnston2k 12:51 29 Sep 04

Already tried that mate, machine still running a lot louder and hotter than it used to.

Just edited the shut down time in Regedit to fix that prob tho.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 29 Sep 04

As JonnyTub suggests also

Check for spyware

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

Ensure air vents are clear

JonnyTub 12:55 29 Sep 04

your fan could be on the way out especially if it's running louder than it used to, it could also be a build up of dust that's preventing the fan from working as effeciently as it once did, can you try a can of compressed air to blow the "crap" out?

JonnyTub 12:57 29 Sep 04

as per fruitbat also, some vuruses, etc make your hd and cpu run constantly which would explain the heat problem, although it wouldn't explain the louder part of it, is it just the fan that's louder or all that disk activity that's creating the noise?

dave_johnston2k 13:08 29 Sep 04

Just the fan.

JonnyTub 13:11 29 Sep 04

try blasting it with some compressed air, by the way by "louder" do you mean like it's working at full speed constantly like it would were you performing a cpu intensive task? or "louder as in it just don't sound right?

dave_johnston2k 13:28 29 Sep 04

louder like it is performing a high CPU usage task. If I am surfing the web and using Winamp the computer gets very hot quickly.

JonnyTub 13:33 29 Sep 04

seems normal, as the laptop's hd will be spinning to read your music files, you could always use a laptop cooler. are you using this machine on your "lap"

dave_johnston2k 14:37 29 Sep 04

No I have a fan I use to cool it down. I think the main thing I thought was wrong was the massive shut down time which has been fixed.

Cheers for ur help tho mate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…