Laptop graphics - upgradeable?

tripitacha 18:38 11 May 05

I just bought a new laptop, but the graphics aren't very good, the highest resolution I can get is 1024x768, if it goes higher, the desktop becomes bigger than the screen and I have to scroll to reach invisible bits of the desktop.... anyway.... I was hoping to be able to increase my resolution capabilities by buying a graphics accelerator. Is this possible? I think you can get a card that fits in that little credit card shaped slot that improves the graphics, but i'm not sure....

Help please!!!

woodchip 18:41 11 May 05

In one Word "NO"

tripitacha 18:45 11 May 05

so there's absolutely nothing I can do to upgrade the graphics at all?

Totally-braindead 18:53 11 May 05

Fraid I have to go with Woodchip here, as far as I know there is no way to replace a laptop graphics card as its built in to the laptop motherboard.

tripitacha 19:26 11 May 05

I'm sure I saw graphics cards that fit into that little slot on laptops on the side, bout the size of a credit card.... is there such a thing?

woodchip 19:30 11 May 05

You could check. But if there is Get ready for price. When you think of the ones fitted in Gaming Desktops with BIG fans and Heatsinks

Totally-braindead 19:31 11 May 05

tripitacha I don't know, I've never seen what you describe. I have seen LAN cards and the like that are about the size of a credit card and fit in to the side of a laptop and other things as well but not a graphics card, as I said the graphics is physically part of the motherboard. Only suggestions I have is leave this open and see if someone else knows what the thing you describe is or maybe ask the laptop manufacturer.

woodchip 19:41 11 May 05

If you want it to game on. Cheaper and better to get a Xbox or PS2

Totally-braindead 19:41 11 May 05

Just found this in a previous thread on upgrading laptops click here so some laptops can be upgraded, which I must admit I didn't know, but the laptops are very expensive, god alone knows how much the actual upgrade will cost. You'd be better contacting the manufacturer or at least posting back with the make/model of your laptop and then someone will be able to say whether this is one of the new upgradable ones.

Totally-braindead 19:45 11 May 05

Here it is the upgradable DELL click here costs £1521.

Diodorus Siculus 21:17 11 May 05

You can get PCMCIA graphics for some machines but at a cost; getting an external monitor might be a cheaper way of achieving what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…