Laptop graphics cards - any good?

The Belarussian Mafia 20:20 28 Oct 04

Do any top-spec 8x AGP graphics cards in laptops come anywhere near equalling decent PC graphics cards? Also, does the existence of AGP in a laptop mean that the card could in future be upgraded?

Diodorus Siculus 20:22 28 Oct 04

1 - some will be decent enough these days but will never compare with top of the range cards for desktops.

2 - no, they are on board so can't be upgraded.

(Well, there were experiments with PCMCIA graphics cards upgrades but these never seemed to get far.)

The Belarussian Mafia 20:41 28 Oct 04

Diodorus Siculus: Take a look at my 'AGP actual speed...' and 'Insert old HDD into new PC' threads you'll see what I'm up to. I'm effectively being forced into buying a new PC, so Im trying to see if I could buy a bare bones-type PC and use my old HDD (and graphics card) both of which are very new. I've looked into this recently, and seen MSI motherboards with on-board sound (hence the on-board sound thread), but want to make sure that would be sufficient. If the graphics were good enough, though, I might consider going for a laptop. In the mean time I want to squeeze what I can from this old AMD 750 banger. So, you see, there is method in my madness!

One last question: do top laptop graphics cards do the biz' when compared to hundred-odd quid PC cards, or are they noticeably inferior for use with 3d games?

Diodorus Siculus 20:47 28 Oct 04

I can't comment further on laptop cards as I am not into gaming but use my laptop for DVDs on occasion when travelling and it has basic "intel extreme" graphics - works fine for me.

If you post details of a specific laptop / graphics card, someone may be able to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…