Laptop got water on it+poss screen damage-Help!

buel 21:06 24 Aug 09

Hi, my gf has a hp pavillion dv4 laptop and she fell and accidentally spilt a bit of water on the keyboard and fell on the screen. I immediately turned it off and took the battery out and dried what i could with a towel. I switched it on and up came the black screen where i had the option of Vista or Windows 7 but i could only choose by moving the Tab button and not the up or down buttons. Unfortunately it wouldn't choose when i pressed enter so i was kind of stuck on that screen. Also there is a 'flash' accross the screen as if it is cracked but there doesn't seem to be any physical crack. Please can anyone advise me firstly is there any way to 'get into' the Vista screen to check that everything is working ok and secondly where i can buy a new screen and keyboard?

wiz-king 21:20 24 Aug 09

Leave the battery out, put it in the airing cuboard for a week with the lid open, then try it - keep fingers crossed.

buel 21:21 24 Aug 09

Thanks for that, appreciate it!

buel 21:54 24 Aug 09

Has anyone any recommendations on where to get new/replacement screens please?

Technotiger 22:59 24 Aug 09

I would try to get 'into' the screen, probably cause more damage that way. Do as wiz-king suggests, then have another look at it. With a bit of luck you might be pleasantly surprised.

Don't mess with it until it has completely dried out - you could make matters worse.

Technotiger 23:00 24 Aug 09

I meant to say " I would NOT try to get 'into' the screen ....

buel 19:26 04 Sep 09

Right, my friend's mum clearly doesn't want help with her broadband connection. She (foolishly) is going to be buying mobile broadband ASWELL as home broadband!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced