Laptop gets so far into startup then reboots

santamonica 18:19 12 Feb 09

Hi
My Acer Aspire 9300 laptop has become ill currently I am online in safe mode, but if I try booting up normally I can get as far as desktop but then it stops loading occasionally coming up with an application popup... ntiMUI.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7\jcmkr32.hlp is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. The desktop then goes and blue screen message flashes up briefly this says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONEPAGE_AREA amongst other things but it dissapears very quickly i think it then goes black windows logo loads and then it goes to checkdisk ....I have tried letting it run through that but it still does all this stuff over and over . hope you can help I am running windows xp service pack 2...
thanks

T0SH 18:32 12 Feb 09

Booting up in safe mode and uninstalling the NTI CD&DVD maker software from add remove programs then a reboot, will most likely get you up and running again in normal mode

Cheers HC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 12 Feb 09

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

santamonica 20:34 12 Feb 09

I WILL TRY THESE IDEAS WHEN I GET HOME ....THANKS

santamonica 00:36 20 Feb 09

The above suggestions did not work for me
Tosh's remove the program did not work as it would not do it just plain refused. Option 1 of fruitbats
run sfc /scannow it flashed the window open then closed down .. option 2 I only have a back up disc created when I first got the laptop it came preinstalled... this disc only seems to allow me to do a full reinstall ... still running on safe mode
thanks

tullie 04:50 20 Feb 09

With sfc /scannow,did you remember the space between sfc and /?

santamonica 12:18 20 Feb 09

Yep I did

T0SH 14:07 20 Feb 09

According to the error message in your first post it looks like some part of the NTI CD & DVD maker program that is loading early in the boot up sequence is faulting out and causing the problem

There are a few ways you may be able to stop it happening

First and simplest is to try press and holding down the leftmost Shift key during boot up, the timing of this action is fiddly since many laptops will error out with a keyboard fault if you press and hold too soon delay the press about a second longer at each attempt

Next is boot up to safe mode and go Start then Run and type msconfig into the box then OK will bring up the System Configuration Utility screen ,first check the entries listed in the window on the Startup tab for any entry to do with NTI if you find any untick the box to the left of it apply and ok will ask for a restart ok this

The above action will put you into the Windows diagnostic mode and will pop up a screen telling you so on reboot, when it does just tick the boy that says "Don`t ask me thia again" will stop it poping up next time

Having re-read all the posts I don`t see anywhere that you have tried a windows system restore back to a time before this fault first occurred

If you are not sure how to do a system restore bring up Help and Support and type System Restore into the search box will bring up a list of found items one of which is "Run system restore in safe mode" clicking this will bring you to the how to with clickable links in blue

Cheers HC

santamonica 18:37 20 Feb 09

About to try this ...I have done a system restore in safe mode but when i restart the laptop it says it is unable to restore to that point ...I have tried a few restore points same deal however i did it as I have done it in the past I will check out what you say about instructions for safe mode restore to see if they are any different...I will let you know How I get on
CHEERS GORD

santamonica 20:55 20 Feb 09

No joy ... on my laptop I can press f8 to get me to the safe boot page I turned the nti off as you said and on restart I was reading the system configuration utility message and it just came up with the same blue screen ...also looked at system restore in safe mode but it is what i have already tried tried again but cant even get to a desktop image now ...I just click on my user profile it thinks about it then blue screens
HHMMMM

santamonica 21:27 20 Feb 09

i HAVE NOT SEEN THE NTI APPLICATION POPUP IN SOME TIME i THINK WE ARE DEALING WITH THE PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONEPAGE_AREA blue screen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5