Laptop frozen

palinka 20:16 28 Jun 03

My laptop has just frozen - no "mouse" movement; no response to any keys. Running XP. Was connected to Internet via freeserve & trying unsuccessfully to access my emails on same dial-up. Decided to disconnect and freeze occurred while hourglass displayed after licking "disconnect". I'm new to XP; previously used Me; is it something I've done that XP doens't like? What should I do?

Sir Radfordin 20:18 28 Jun 03

It sounds very much like 'something' has stopped responding. Try doing Ctrl+Alt+Del and you will get something call the Task Manager which may show you which componet has. Just end task it and then reboot the laptop.

If you can't get that far then you may need to turn the laptop off and then back on again. In some cases you have to resort to removing the power and the battery to force it to die.

This is very rare in XP but it does sometimes happen!

palinka 20:23 28 Jun 03

Thanks, Sir Radfordlin; had already tried Control+Alt+Del. How can I call the Task Manager when nothing seems to respond?

palinka 21:45 28 Jun 03

Thanks Sir Radfordlin. I removed battery as you suggested & everything is fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…