laptop freezing upon startup

red_rook 17:05 06 Sep 06

Hey hey everyone. I'm having problems with my laptop as as of late it seems to randomly stop when I try to start up. It normally loads up the desktop and it's just when it starts to open things in the task bar when it get stuck. The only way I can get it to do anything else is to unplug the power and take out the battery and start again. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it something to do with Toshiba as another ancient laptop I had did this (but I thought it was just because it was old)

Jackcoms 17:07 06 Sep 06

Make?

Specs?

OS?

AV program?

Anti-malware program/s?

Free HDD space?

A bit more info needed!!

red_rook 17:13 06 Sep 06

:S I don't really know what all of that means, I'm not very good with computers. erm...it's a toshiba satellite L20-153. it's windows xp. i have avast antivirus but i have done a thorough scan about 6 times in the past two weeks. i really don't know anything else unless you put it in really simple terms. sorry :(

Rossi#1 17:15 06 Sep 06

He means how much hard drive space is free.
Have you got an anti-spyware program too.

Do you have a firewall fitted?
How much memory?

etc.

red_rook 17:29 06 Sep 06

ok erm i have the basic firewall that came with windows, i have 25.9 GB of hard drive free, 448MB memory and as far as i know i don't have anti spyware (i thought it was the same as anti-virus?)

Rossi#1 17:39 06 Sep 06

No they different as seen click here

Try AdAware click here

or Spybot click here

or even both.
Spyware is usually a cuase of poor performance.

red_rook 17:43 06 Sep 06

thank you :)

Jackcoms 17:49 06 Sep 06

When you've installed Rossi#1's suggestions to check for malware, download, install and run click here to get rid of all the crap on your HDD.

And then defrag it

red_rook 18:31 06 Sep 06

oh my god there was so much crap! thank you for your help it's really appreciated :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017