Laptop freezing - reinstall Windows?

ITBuffoon 17:51 15 Aug 14

Hi there,

My laptop is freezing......I can't really doing anything in Windows. The laptop hangs if I attempt the run a program, or even attempt to access a folder.

However, it works OK in Safe Mode with Networking. I can access the web, access files - it's running OK in this mode.

I have tried to go back to a restore point, but it didn't run successfully, saying it failed to extract the Flash plugin. I'm pretty sure I installed the latest version of the plugin yesterday. The problem has only arisen today.

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled, the Flash plugin. This hasn't eradicated the problem in 'full' windows.

Should I do a back up of my , and re-install Windows.....any suggestions? It would be great to avoid it.

Many thanks!

john bunyan 18:09 15 Aug 14

Maybe a "nasty"? I would download and run ADWCleaner

ADWCleaner

And, if you have them, Malawarebytes and Superantispyware- Best place to get the free ones is Filehippo

You could download them on a friends PC to a memory stick and run them from there if you have to.

ITBuffoon 08:22 16 Aug 14

Many thanks for your replies. I'll back everything up.

Ive installed malware bytes. Cant run it in full windows, and it doesnt even run in safe mode (with networking). Not looking promising.

BillSers 08:39 16 Aug 14

What are your specs, make and model?

john bunyan 10:05 16 Aug 14

Have a go with ADWCleaner.

chub_tor 12:22 16 Aug 14

If you can get online you can run an online virus and malware checker such as BitDefender click here no need to download anything.

ITBuffoon 19:31 17 Aug 14

If it's of interest, I'm using a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series, Windows 7. I've the laptop for almost two years.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I still have the same problems, Windows freezes.

FYI, I've run ADWCleaner (in Safe Mode), and cleaned up what it suggested. I ran sfc/ scannow from the command prompt....it could only complete 98%, and gave the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I've done chkdsk / f, and from the F8 screen I've selected to go back to the last good configuration. Nothing has worked. Avast Anti-virus (in safe mode) doesn't work now. It says 'No more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.'

I've backed up my data. Am I right in thinking the final throw of the dice is re-installing Windows? I have the disk....

john bunyan 20:16 17 Aug 14

If you could download Malawarebytes to a memory stick on yours or a friends PC, you could run it from there, but it sounds as if something is blocking it. Have you cleaned the registry with CCleaner? Good luck; a reinstall takes quite a time - do ensure SP1 goes in OK if not on disc, and I would install updates in batches of 50 or so. You could also download Avast to the memory stick (I suggest from Filehippo) and run it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…