Laptop freezing

steve263000 07:40 12 Apr 10

My six month old laptop keeps freezing for no apparant reason. Today it has worked perfectly and writing this I have no problems. Yesterday it froze twice and had to be turned off with the power button.

I run Outlook and it often freezes when I click on a link or try to forward emails. But not always. It has done it while surfing, (I use Firefox). I have cleaned it using CC Cleaner and installed Revo Uninstall pro and Tune up 2009 from the cover disc of the last mag and tried them.

I have a Compaq lappy with 4gb memory and a 500gb hard drive

northumbria61 08:06 12 Apr 10

Laptops are noted for overheating. I am not suggesting that you do but do not use it on your knee BUT they need a good airflow around them. Make sure the fan/fans are running and nothing is being blocked.

northumbria61 08:11 12 Apr 10

When it "freezes" do not turn off but go to Device Manager (ctrl+alt+del keys) and see what applications are running - then you can choose to "end task"

steve263000 16:13 12 Apr 10

The computer is kept on a desk and very rarely used on my knees. Never in any case since this has been happening. I have tried ctrl+alt+del keys and I cannot get into that. I have even tried the restart button without success. But today of course I have had no problems!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 12 Apr 10

Freezing

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

steve263000 04:02 13 Apr 10

Well for now anyway. I had been keeping the laptop on a non slip type soft mat and I think that may have been causing the problem. I have taken that away and have had no problems since. I will leave this post open for now but close it later if no problems come up in a day or two.

steve263000 04:08 13 Apr 10

I had rudely forgotten to add a big thank you to all that posted on this so thanks to all.

northumbria61 07:58 13 Apr 10

"I had been keeping the laptop on a non slip type soft mat and I think that may have been causing the problem"

Thanks for the feedback Steve - appears to have been overheating/blocked fan/airflow - so easy to do without even noticing. Hope all is okay now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…