//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop freezing up.

Alf58 00:03 07 Aug 05

I have a Compaq laptop running Win Xp Professional with SP2. From time to time it freezes up so solidly that it will not respond to the mouse, keyboard or even the off button. The only way I can get it to reboot is by partly removing the battery. After this,I can reboot it and it runs ok. It first started happening once in a blue moon now it seems to happen once every session. Any ideas?

Forum Editor 08:56 07 Aug 05

up-to-date anti-virus software and a firewall on the machine?

How old is the computer?

woodchip 09:13 07 Aug 05

And try running Check Disc by right click on the C:\ drive\Properties\Tools\Check Disc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 07 Aug 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Alf58 00:50 08 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the memtest thing. The machine is about 18 months old. What do u mean by PSU voltages, Fruitbat? I know what a PSU voltage is but how might it relate to the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…