Laptop freezes after 15/20 minutes

algernonymous 21:12 24 Aug 15

My Win7 laptop works fine for 15/20 mins then freezes. First I get 'Not responding' at the top of whatever program I am using, then if I click again the screen greys out. All I can do is hold down the on/off button to switch off, then start over again.

wee eddie 21:55 24 Aug 15

Just a long shot. Check that the airflow throughit is not rreduced

algernonymous 10:13 25 Aug 15

Thanks for reply. No, there is no airflow blockage.

xania 10:20 25 Aug 15

More likely to be your processor working overtime on something. Could be a virus so load in safe mode and run virus scan, malwarebytes scan etc.

You could also try and wait until the processor has a moment to process this and then see what's running.

Also check what is loading at start-up (msconfig) and see if anything can be stopped from running until you need it.

algernonymous 22:41 30 Aug 15

Well I ran Malwarebytes which found 5 PUPs to be removed but I couldn't run a virus scan as it freezes before completion. Also, a monitoring program I have reports that approx 35% of RAM is being used and the processor is running at around 140F. Is this OK?

Govan1x 10:08 31 Aug 15

That is 60c so not over the top.

Maybe give chkdsk a run tick both boxes so that it will repair what it finds. Might take a while for that to finish.

Anything using up your CPU in Taskmanager that should not be there.Maybe give C Cleaner a run to get rid of any junk.

Thinking maybe your hard drive on the way out. Have a look in Event viewer to see if any crucial problems showing on there.

xania 11:19 01 Sep 15

Just a thought - these symptoms are identical to problems I get occasionally on a particularly large spreadsheet in Excel. I find that it clears itself after about 5 minutes and I can carry on working. It only affects the one window and other open windows work fine.

How long do you leave the PC after the problem occurs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant