laptop freezes

conrail 11:46 04 Feb 08

daughters Acer laptop freezes within seconds of xp running, for first few seconds when moving the mouse it jumps from A to B then stops and wont move at all, laptop is also overheating, Acer is collecting it tomorrow as just in warranty, my query is, is there any way I can get into DOS or other option to backup all the files she needs for uni to a DVD?
I have got as far as inserting a DVD and opening the D drive but then unable to open my docs to drag and drop due to the freeze, I have done a search for laptop freezes but none ask about backup so all help and advice gratefully accepted

birdface 11:52 04 Feb 08

Try in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as computer starts]And try last good configuration or system restore.

birdface 14:38 04 Feb 08

I thought someone might have been able to help you with backing up your documents.I have read with desktops that you can take the hard drive out and put it in another computer,But whether you can do that with a Laptop I don't know.

peter99co 15:21 04 Feb 08

Instead of a dvd would a usb stick be quicker or not big enough?

Demora 15:25 04 Feb 08

Depending on what type of hard drive is in the laptop you can do that.

You need a cable somthing like this. click here_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html

I have one and use it now and again when my laptop goes and lets me down .

D

Demora 15:28 04 Feb 08

Sorry didn't paste the link very well.

D

click here_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html

Demora 15:30 04 Feb 08

click here_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html

D

conrail 15:32 04 Feb 08

thanks buteman, that has worked, CD-RW would not write to discs so borrowed an external drive, for some reason I never thought of safe mode! I appreciate your help

conrail 15:33 04 Feb 08

thanks to all others for their suggestions, I should have refreshed before posting, I am having one of those days

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now