laptop freezes

myanmarboy 12:23 19 May 07

I have a laptop (HP Pavilion dv 4000)just out of warranty which has taken to freezing after an hour or two of running. Have XP with good AV and AS. Live Onecare also gives clean bill of health. Not much data on the machine. It gets warm but not what I would describe as hot. Any advice appreciated.

try a can of compressed air, available from most pc/ electronics shops and check all the air intakes and any fans are clear of dust, sounds to me like a heat issue.
adam

birdface 13:48 19 May 07

Go into task manager.And see if there is anything running that takes up most of your Cpu.

myanmarboy 17:45 19 May 07

adman 2
Will try the compressed air treatment tomorrow.

buteman
my task manager shows big chunks being used by -
iexplore.exe - explorer.exe - svchost.exe and one called DATALA~1.EXE. Not sure what the last two are.

FreeCell 18:08 19 May 07

svchost is a standard MS Windows process, nothing to worry about and Datala is usually a Nokia utility. Do you have Nokia Phone Suite installed on your PC?

myanmarboy 21:08 19 May 07

FreeCell - yes I do have Nokia Phone Suite installed.
Thanks for the info

tammer 23:01 19 May 07

If svchost.exe is using 100% of your CPU then it would be something to worry about.

When the laptop freezes which process (if any) is shown at 99 under CPU?

birdface 23:15 19 May 07

If you have Automatic Microsoft up-dates,Delete it and go back to installing them manually,Reboot your computer,Then try to manually download up-dates,You will probably not find any,But see if your computer works any better then,Its a fault with Microsoft just going round in circles looking for up-dates that are not there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…