Laptop with firewire

Newuser939 19:07 PM 29 Feb 12

I have a five year old HP laptop which has been fine. However, as some programs become more complex it is getting to be a bit slow and the time might have come to invest in a newer model. The problem is that my camcorder, which does not need replacing, connects to my laptop by firewire. When I look at what is available, there seem to be almost no laptops with firewire ports. Does anyone know of a range of laptops (preferably 17" screen size) or, possibly all-in-ones up to 21" screen size which have a firewire port, or at least the facility to take an express card so that one could be added?

karmgord 20:24 PM 29 Feb 12

Why not buy a "normal" laptop and a firewire express card?

Newuser939 08:49 AM 01 Mar 12

karmgord,

As I mentioned in my original post, that would certainly be a possibility, but I am not sure that many modern laptops even have the ability to take an express card.

robin_x 11:20 AM 01 Mar 12

You can get a USB2.0 Express Card adapter (Item 10 here).

Dunno what speed you would get through. Maybe a USB3.0 solution is available or coming soon?

Or Item 1. Does just that cable work?

Ian in Northampton 13:26 PM 01 Mar 12

Would this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Firewire-IEEE-1394-M-USB2-0-Male-Adaptor-Convertor-C-/130506528872?pt=UKComputingCablesConnectorsRL&hash=item1e62cb9868#ht3796wt_1185

work?

Newuser939 13:49 PM 01 Mar 12

Thank you for the replies. However, judging from the reviews on the Amazon site, such adaptors do not seem to work with camcorders, which is the main point in my case.

chub_tor 15:39 PM 01 Mar 12

This Sony has firewire and there may be more in the range but I did not check them all.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED