laptop file mising ?????

stephen1978 16:28 05 Apr 09

hi i need help bad lol

1 of my laptops wont go on ......its was going well last nite when the thing just froze so i had to turn it off.

the only way i could do that was to hold in the power button ....BUT when i went to turn it on today it would'nt start and i got this message

WIDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT: \windows\system32\config\system

it told me i could repair it if i had the original xp disk (I HAVE THE XP BOOT CD BUT DONT NO HOW TO REPAIR )

could anyone point me in the rite direction plz

cheers steve

VoG II 16:42 05 Apr 09
  Pineman100 16:50 05 Apr 09

Restart your laptop, and as soon as it begind the startup routine, begin tapping the F8 key. Keep doing this and you'll eventually be taken into the startup options menu (white text on a black background).

Use your up and down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and hit Enter.

After a whole lot of stuff scrolls up the screen, your computer should (with a bit of luck) boot into XP Safe Mode. Click to run System Restore, and choose a date/time prior to the illegal shutdown. Wait while System Restore does its stuff and restarts the computer.

If that doesn't work, then restart the computer again and do exactly as described above with F8. But this time, on the startup options menu, select "Last known good configuration". Hit enter.

If you're lucky, your computer will now restart properly.

Pineman100 16:52 05 Apr 09

...cross-posted you.

stephen1978 17:18 05 Apr 09

vog i try the link you posted but when i run the xp cd and press r to repair i type in wat it tells me but still nothing it tells me that the file is not reconized to type it again ??

stephen1978 18:02 05 Apr 09

can anyone tell me wat to do after i press r to recovery xp home with the xp boot disk ???

Select the installation that you want to recover???WAT DO I TYPE??

VoG II 18:05 05 Apr 09

Type 1 and press Enter.

stephen1978 18:10 05 Apr 09

rite done that but when i go to type it does'nt reconize it and tells me to do it agian ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…