Laptop fan running intermittently while browsing?

Daibus 00:30 30 May 06

Is it fairly standard that the fan on a laptop runs intermittently even when just browsing the net or is it a sign of an inferior computer specification?

Many thanks.

DieSse 00:43 30 May 06

I would have thought it was fairly normal - the fan comes on whenever the temperature drifts up over a certain level.

The higher performance the computer, the more it's likely to happen, I would have thought.

Trying to make sure the laptop has sensible airspace underneath, that it's not sitting on a soft cloth, for instance, that might restrict airflow, will help minimise temperature rises that switch the fan on.

Daibus 07:34 30 May 06

Many thanks for your reply but the fan on this particular machine does not always seem governed by the temperature that is shown by the Probe.

anchor 09:14 30 May 06

If you are concerned, consider the Maplin cooler.

It works like a charm; very effective and keeps the base as cool as a cucumber. Plugs into USB; recommended, and not too expensive @ £20.

click here

Daibus 09:40 30 May 06

Very handy to know - many thanks.

Is it only availble from their store I wonder?

martjc 09:45 30 May 06

..."...the temperature that is shown by the probe." will not be as accurate as the software that actually switvhes the fan on. I would disregard, or even de-activate any probe software.

Daibus 09:52 30 May 06

Important to know - cheers.

Al94 10:53 30 May 06

I can vouch for the fact that this one click here= also does a great job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…