Laptop fan running continuously

boringstoke 17:47 24 Apr 06

I have a Compaq Presario laptop. As of yesterday the fan is not cutting out. The machine does not feel too hot or is the room temperature. Any ideas?

Forum Editor 18:35 24 Apr 06

it may be that the fan intake, and/or some of the internal spaces is/are blocked with fluff - it's a common laptop problem.

Buy a can of compressed air from any good computer shop. With the machine off, remove any access panels on the underside of the case. Then give the spaces a decent blast from the aerosol spray, paying attention to the fan intake and exhaust grilles.

If that doesn't work, we'll think again - come back to your thread and let us know.

VCR97 20:16 24 Apr 06

Do you have a soft surface under the unit? If so it is possible that it is being sucked against the fan's air intake. Guess how I discovered that!

boringstoke 20:19 24 Apr 06

The laptop is on a hard surface.

surfsteruk 20:34 24 Apr 06

Check the power profile properties.

I had my laptop power profile switched to 'Desktop' and it made the fan turn on constantly. I switched it back to ' Battery' and it comes on only in short bursts now.

boringstoke 21:12 24 Apr 06

Daft question, how do i check the power profile?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…