Laptop fan crackling and smoking

lulu648 10:46 16 Jul 10

Hi there, just looking for some advice. I have an Advent Laptop, its been running fine for the 2 and a half years Ive had it, however over the weekend ive been having problems with it coming out of hibernate and sometimes even starting up. I thought this may be due to the fact my hard drive was almost full however on Saturday night a funny crackling sound starting coming from the vents in the side and then on Sunday night this noise was accompanied by small curls of smoke. Needless to say I turned the machine off and havent used it again since.
Any advice as to what it could be and if it is going to be expensive to fix? Also is there any way of retrieving my pictures and things from it before sending it away to be repaired? i did try and back it up on sunday but as soon as I saw the smoke I ejected my Free Agent and shut it down!
Thank you :-D

johndrew 11:36 16 Jul 10

I could be dust blocking the fan and causing overheating.

However, given the sounds and smoke it looks as if there could easily be a further failure/damage as well. I would suggest a strip of the laptop to examine what is overheating and what damage has been done before further use.

northumbria61 12:28 16 Jul 10

"Any advice as to what it could be and if it is going to be expensive to fix?"

It would mean taking it in to a local repair shop and asking them to give you an estimate BEFORE any work is started.

"Also is there any way of retrieving my pictures and things from it before sending it away to be repaired?"

In view of the smoke coming out of it you did the right thing by turning it off. However the best way to save your pictures etc. would be to remove the hard drive to reinstall after repair.

If you intend to have it repaired or if you are not confident in doing that ask at the computer shop for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…