Laptop failing to boot

smudge6521 15:58 PM 19 Jul 11

Can anybody assist with the following problem, My laptop will not boot up when i switch it on it goes to a black screen which says it is in safe mode then a small dialogue box appears saying that it is a disk diagnostics box and asking me to perform a scan when the scan is complete it tells me to download the software to fix the problem, I have tired presssing F2 and going into the set up to try and boot up from my recovery disk but it wont let me. Does anybody know a work around with this it seems as though I have picked up some nasty from the internet that I am unable to fix at the moment.

johndrew 16:06 PM 19 Jul 11

What software does it want downloaded?

What is the laptop and what OS?

If it is a virus/malware, have you tried downloading the AVG Rescue CDand doing a 'clean' to remove it?

smudge6521 20:05 PM 19 Jul 11

The laptop is a ACER 9 series and is running windows XP pro and I am unable to download anything as it wont let me connect to the internet even though it is asking me to download this what it claims to be a windows diagnositic kit

johndrew 14:01 PM 20 Jul 11

Windows will not expect you to download a"diagnostic kit". You have picked up a virus/malware and need to clean your laptop. Either run your own anti-virus and malware software or download the AVG CD I linked above.

You may need to start in 'Safe Mode' to get your AV scans to run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…