Laptop to external monitor "out of range" msg at b

dabooj80 12:38 22 Feb 09

Hi,

I have a fairly old laptop (pentium 4 2ghz) that has a damaged screen. everything else works fine but the screen shows nothing. I have been able to connect this to my external TFT monitor & it works fine. I don't have to fiddle with any settings or anything like that. I simply connect the leads, boot up & the laptop starts with the external TFT monitor.
However, i need to use this laptop on a 19inch Dell Trinitron CRT monitor but when i connect to the monitor i get an out of range msg on the screen at boot up. even if i let the laptop load up into windows, nothing happens.
I have tried changing the laptops refresh rate to the lowest one possible (60 hz) & then connecting to the CRT monitor but this doesn't help.
I haven't seen anything in the BIOS settings that would affect the output to an external display.
I have even tried booting up windows in safe mode but i still can't get the laptop to work with this display.

The CRT monitor works fine with my PC & the laptop external monitor output works fine for my TFT monitor.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Regards,

Shuja

Quiet Life 13:23 22 Feb 09

Normally an out of range notification means that the resolution or refresh rate have been set higher than your monitor can support.
Connect your laptop to the TFT monitor and reduce the resolution and save it before switching back to using your CRT monitor.
Might help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:28 22 Feb 09

I would have thought the TFT refresh rate would ave been lower that the CRT

I.e. TFT 60hz
CRT 85hz

dabooj80 14:53 22 Feb 09

Yeah, thats exactly what i thought. I also thought that the fact the laptop was a few years old now, it would probably work better on the CRT monitors than the TFT monitors.

I have reduced & increased my refresh rate(60hz & 75hz) to test the laptop but i still can't get it to work on my CRT monitor.
BTW, i can only change display settings like refresh rate in windows xp. I don't seem to have any options in bios.
I can't even get this laptop to display on my CRT monitor at boot up. Is there a monitor setting i can change?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple