Laptop error - 2nd attempt!!

heidelberg 20:56 27 Sep 05

I started up the laptop for the first time for a couple of weeks and received the following message

CMOS Date/Time not set
Run SETUP
PRESS F1 to resume

and a few bleeps!

How do I run SETUP? Pressing F1 starts windows, but I also get the same error message next time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Dave

VoG II 20:58 27 Sep 05

Keys to press to get inro the BIOS (CMOS) click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 27 Sep 05

Oldish laptop?

sounds like the CMOS battery is dead/dying if it will not hold date and time.

Depending on mk - model how easy to change give us some details.

woodchip 22:09 27 Sep 05

F1 was old Ami BIOS. when computer is started you have to press F1 strait away or keep tapping it

jack 10:24 28 Sep 05

A query - if this happened in a desktop- we would all say change the battery.

In a laptop, could this be so or does the BIOS rely on the main battery?

And if so could this be an indicator that the main
battery is on the blink[or non existant- run off the mains] -espeially is as Wood chip infers that the machine is oldish.

heidelberg 11:14 28 Sep 05

Laptop is over 4 years old and is an Advent 6412 DVD.

At present I can't switch it on, and so can't give any other details.

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 28 Sep 05

LapTop CMOS Batteries

Computer clock (CMOS or PRAM)batteries are used in virtually all laptop computer systems that use CMOS memory to retain the date, time and configuration information when the power is off. The types of devices used vary greatly depending
on the manufacturer and the application. Laptops may contain a clock/CMOS battery and a resume battery to retain RAM memory information in the event the system battery loses power.

Some IBM compatible laptop computers contain a real time clock (RTC) battery and a resume (somtimes called "sleep") cell. The RTC battery runs the clock and provides memory back-up power for configuration (CMOS) information. The resume (or "sleep") cell provides RAM back-up power when the main powercell fails. This allows the user to save information in RAM to disk when the system is connected to power or a fully charged battery is inserted into the system. Note: the resume function usually does not work the if laptop's powercell is not in the system.

Some laptops can contain more than one internal battery to power clock, CMOS, resume and sub-battery functions. Type vary from Lithium coin cells to Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh) packs. These can be soldered directly to the system board (or sub-card) or attached using a wire harness and sub-minature connector.

Locations of these devices vary from model to model but, in most cases, these devices are found underneath the keyboard. Some manufacturers locate the cells in odd places like underneath a mouse ball, touch pad or in the screen frame housing.

Use extreme caution when removing the keyboard on any laptop! Keyboard assemblies are connected to the system board by flat "ribbon" cables. These cables are usually made from Mylar™ (or similar materials). Cable assemblies can be expensive and very difficult to find, even through an authorized dealer.

jack 19:47 28 Sep 05

Thank you FB for that rundown- I ain't arf glad I gave the lappie I was given ,away ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…