Laptop DVDRW can't access any discs

Lippy 19:01 29 Sep 06

Hi All,
I have a sony a297xp laptop that has stopped "seeing" any discs that are put into it. I was copying mp3 files to blank cds when it stopped working. Now when I insert any type of disc into the drive, CD, DVD, prerecorded or blank, I can hear the drive trying to work but apparently failing to "find" anything. Device manager says there's no problems with the device. It is a Sony DW-D56A. I'm running windows xp pro service pack 2. I've tried (via device manager) uninstalling/reinstalling the drive, to no avail. Any Ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:07 29 Sep 06

maybe a loose connection,
try removing and refitting the drive unit

or

click here

Lippy 09:13 30 Sep 06

Thanks for that fruitbat, but when I say the laptop has stopped "seeing" the dvds inserted, they are found by explorer but cannot be accessed in any useful way. I can hear the drive constantly starting up, then stopping, probably for about a minute, then it gives up. The system all states that the device is working properly and is recognised by device manager no problems. It just won't let me read a disk or write to a disk, gets hung up just before that happens it seems.
Sorry for my previous poor description, hope that clears it up a bit.
Lippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…