laptop dvd-drive multi region

lewis187 22:59 26 Apr 04

Hello, I was wondering if any of you people were aware of a free way to make my laptop multireigon DVD friendly? I am aware of software out there that claims to do it, but I am too cheap and untrusting to pay for it.

Failing this perhaps there is a way to reset the number of times it can be changed? Or is this controled by the hardware and not the some software?

Cheers

pmjd 23:12 26 Apr 04

It is possible to do, it involves changing the firmware on the drive itself. There are a few utilities and guides that are available but it's a tad risky if you don't know what you are doing. Available firmware also depends on the make of drive you have.

Strange suggestion but try searching on ebay for dvd drives as I came across people selling ones for laptops that listed they could supply it region free but at the buyers risk. They listed the utility used and linked to it.

If your not sure about doing it maybe it's time to open up the wallet!! Could be cheaper than getting a new drive if the unlock messes up.

rickf 23:18 26 Apr 04

I have seen Sony multi-region DVD drives at comp fair last year. They were priced at £35. I suspect the price would have come down by now but the thing is I can't find them anymore. BTW, these are are for desktops. You can try downloading DVD Genie, I think its called, but I have not tried it myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced