Laptop DVD burner won't burn

prycey 20:54 01 Dec 06

I have an Asus laptop with a built-in TSSTcorp TS-L532U burner. It used to work fine and burn CDs and DVDs with no probem. I have found lately, however, that it doesn't burn DVDs. I use Nero burning ROM, and when I'm burning a DVD it burns without any problems, but when I try and play the file, it doesn't load and shows the disk drive as being empty. When I try it on other computers it simply seems to freeze it when you go into the disk drive.

It seems to burn CDs fine, and I've tried using different DVD media (both +r and -r)

There's still warranty on the laptop, as it's only a few months old.

Stuartli 00:07 02 Dec 06

On the surface it would appear that the DVD laser has gone kaput - as your warranty is still applicable, time to take it up with the supplier.

prycey 07:27 02 Dec 06

oh no :(

guess it makes sense. ahh

thanks anyway

prycey 21:46 02 Dec 06

do you think it is worth buying some DVD lens cleaner, just in case?

Totally-braindead 22:25 02 Dec 06

prycey it might work and if it doesn't you can always use the disk on your hifi dvd player etc.
One question though. These DVDs your burning wouldn't have any copyright problems would they, like you're trying to copy a DVD film? If this is the case then that is where the problem comes from as the copy protection will stop you getting a proper copy. Appolgies if this is not what you're trying but if it is what you're doing that is the answer.

Stuartli 22:36 02 Dec 06

There are two lasers - one for CD, the other for DVD - the CD laser appears to be OK.

In fact I've been using CD and DVD players and optical drives over many years and never yet had to use a lens cleaner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…