Laptop does not regognise printer

hugeb 23:30 02 Apr 03

when I connect my laptop to my printer it tells me that new hardware has been discovered.....even though the software is installed. I then have to uninstall the software and reinstall before I can use it. any ideas????
I'm using a Toshiba with XP and it is a Lexmark X85

recap 11:39 03 Apr 03

hugeb, you will need the software disc for the printer for this one:

Plug in your printer first, go to Control Panel/Add New Hardware follow the wizard until you have the option to browse for the hardware. Browse to your CD and select the Win folder/OK and follow the wizard until it has installed the printer driver.

Hope that does it for you.

hugeb 12:16 03 Apr 03

Hi recap.... I've tried that but the next time I get home and connect the printer to the laptop ...I get the same message that it has found new hardware.
Even if I ignore this and then try to print I get the printer telling me that there is a problem communicating with the printer

anchor 19:14 03 Apr 03

I would first remove the previous driver installation by the method recommended by LexMark:

"Go to Start, All Programs, Lexmark, Uninstall Lexmark.
Reboot the PC.
Go to Start, Control Panels, Printers and Faxes.
Go to File, Server Properties, Drivers.
If there are any Lexmark printer drivers, select them and click Remove.
Open Windows Explorer.
Go to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 and delete the contents of this folder".

The go to the Lexmark site click here

and seek out the latest XP compatable drivers, V.3, dated 8/11/02, lxkx85cleanle.exe. Download and install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…