Laptop does not now recognise USB2.0

Mister M 20:45 12 Nov 07

1st post so please be gentle........

I have an Acer 9301AWSMi laptop running Windows XP. Original spec says it has 4No. Hi-Speed USB ports. I recently formatted the hard drive but now have a problem with the USB ports. When I connect the likes of a flash drive, external hard drive enclosure etc. I get a message that reads:

"This device can perform faster. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a HI-SPEED USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here"

This didn't really bother me until I started copying quite large files and of course, it is painfully slow. Previously (pre-format), I didn't get this message and copying files was completed pretty quickly.

I have downloaded and installed all the latest drivers and utilities from Acers website.

My BIOS Version is currently V1.09 Acer does have Updates to V1.10, V1.14, V1.17 and V1.19 on their FTP website, but the Readme.txt file for each says nothing about USB related issues being part of the BIOS upgrades . I am not sure whether it is safe to upgrade the BIOS anyway as other than the USB problem described, everything else seems to be working fine.

In Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers reads:-

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub

There is no reference to Enhanced controllers, which I understand there should be, for it to be USB2.0

As the laptop recognised USB2.0 before it was formatted, I would have thought that it would have just been a case of updating the drivers so that the current USB1.1 would then recognise USB2.0 but after many hours searching the internet and trying various things, I cannot find anything to work.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on this one. Thanks in advance.

Mr M

HCOOH 21:06 12 Nov 07

This may point you in the right direction
click here

I am Spartacus 21:17 12 Nov 07

Have you installed XP Service Pack 2? The USB 2.0 functionality is included in that.

HCOOH 21:22 12 Nov 07

If not an SP2 prob you may be able to find the chipset type using Everest Home. Look under computer/summary
click here

Mister M 21:38 12 Nov 07

I've already got SP2 loaded on.

Thanks for the link. Where it says "you will need the specific USB 2.0 driver for your system. There are only six manufacturers of USB 2.0 controllers: Acer Labs, Intel, NEC, SiS, VIA and nVidia (which may appear as 'Standard Controller'), but sometimes they are re-branded by other companies. In this case, you will need to find out which Controller is on your system and visit the manufacturers site for an update or special instructions.

How do I determine which Controller is on my system?

woodchip 21:40 12 Nov 07

Go to Device Manager and uninstall all USB and then restart to get them recognised

Mister M 21:52 12 Nov 07

I Uninstalled all USB's, then restarted. Found new harware. I checked in Device Manager but it shows the same as before ie

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub

visit your laptops website and check for your motherboard drivers etc
click here

woodchip 22:01 12 Nov 07

Then drivers are missing, have you loaded the Laptop Drivers For chipset and all other hardware?

woodchip 22:02 12 Nov 07

While in Device Manager did you see any yellow icons?

Mister M 22:02 12 Nov 07

I have already installed all of the drivers listed on Acers website but just out of curiosity, which one is likely to be the driver for the Motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5