Laptop displays white screen and freezes

robhawk 22:22 28 Dec 06

My one year old Evesham laptop, a Quest A610 with Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 17in widescreen WXGA display, has for some months occasionally been freezing and the screen goes white, sometimes with a small rectangle in it. The only remedy is to turn it off and to reboot. This happens at intervals of a couple of weeks or so. It has been returned under warranty to its maker twice but the annoying problem still occurs (four times since 23rd Nov).
Could anyone suggest why this is happening and what to do about it?
Evesham have been helpful, in that they have tried to help, but the fact remains that they haven't solved the problem. Their latest suggestion is that my Windows is corrupted and have asked me to use the Evesham XP Recovery CD. We all know what a time consuming exercise that is and I don't want to do it if it doesn't solve the problem. To me it seems more like a hardware problem and not a software fault, but I may be wrong.
All good advice welcome. Should I allow Evesham to fob me off with a d-i-y attempt at repair?

woodchip 22:40 28 Dec 06

If you are still covered, And I would say you are as it comes under Not fit for the Purpose you bought it. Send it back and tell them you want it correcting. As this is a Hardware Problem. For me I would Say Faulty Onboard Graphics. This would mean a new Motherboard. Just tell them you are not satisfied with the Repairs, And you require it to be fixed properly or a Replacement Laptop

woodchip 22:41 28 Dec 06

Sale of goods act comes to mind

Taff™ 22:48 28 Dec 06

I agree! The screen going white is the "give away" - the rest of us have a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) Back up everything and request a replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…