Laptop display driver problem

andy625 08:56 31 Oct 05

I have just reformatted and reinstalled windows 98 on an old Fujitsu332 lifebook.

I copied what I thought were the driver files for the screen etc before I wiped the drive, and when I reinstalled everything it all worked except windows has installed default monitor.

I thought I'd try a windows update from the Microsoft site, but once it starts to scan the drive the site just says there is an error and won't do any more. I tried wiping and re-installing again, and no different.

I tried going to control panel - device manager - update driver for the display, but turns out the files I backed up are'nt the ones it needs (even though I listed what it said it was using for drivers before I wiped it).

I downloaded a driver exe file for the screen (TRIDENT 9388/9388-1 PCI (V6.15.5411-2.95.26), and this installed some drivers which it said I should point screen towards, but when I try to change the drivers over to the ones I just downloaded it still insists on keeping the default ones. No matter what I do I cant get it to change monitor listed from the "default".

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to sort the screen prob out, and also why I cant get windows update to work??

PaulB2005 09:05 31 Oct 05

Double click the exe to install the drivers. It'll either do the whole job for you or unpack them to a location where you can then point Windows towards.

Drivers that come as exe files need unpacking. You can't point Windows at the ee and get it to install.

Windows Update - what's the error message?

Taff™ 09:15 31 Oct 05

Try Running Everest Home Edition and see if it gives you links to the manufacturers drivers click here

andy625 12:13 31 Oct 05

Paul - I did unpack the drivers and tried to point winwods towards the unpacked files. It kept saying that it was going to use the original files. I think it was because it thinks it actually has the "default monitor" attached. I can't seem to get it to change to the real Trident one.

The windows update page loads and after installing the update software it starts to scan the pc 0%.... etc then just says error in the section of the screen that would normally display the updates availlable. It gives 3 links: support, windows update home and another that I cant remember.

I tried the pc before I wiped it to see if I could do a windows update (because I thought I'd read somewhere that Microsoft had stopped updates for 98) and it worked fine. I reloaded the same copy of windows.

Taff - I'll give that site a try when I get home.

andy625 16:10 31 Oct 05

Can anybody tell me if I want to change the monitor listed on the device manager from "default" to the Trident monitor actually fitted to the machine, is it just a case of updating the "default" monitor with the correct trident drivers? Or do I have to "install new hardware"?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 31 Oct 05

Install new hardware and point it to the inf file for the trident drivers.

andy625 16:51 31 Oct 05

Thanks Fruit Bat, I will give that a try tonight and let you know. I found a driver site called driverguide.com which seems to have drivers for just about everything so hopefully that should sort it out.

andy625 09:14 01 Nov 05

I "installed" the Trident screen last night with new drivers downloaded, and everything seems to be back to normal display-wise.

I still cannot get it to do a windows update however. The error number that microsoft produces is 0x80072F05 if that means anything to anyone???

PaulB2005 09:18 01 Nov 05

Can you start a new thread for the 0x80072F05 problem? Looking nito it now.

PaulB2005 09:19 01 Nov 05

click here;en-us;326253

This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true: • The computer's date and time settings are incorrect.
• Neither of the following Advanced Internet Explorer settings have been selected: • SSL 2.0
• SSL 3.0

• Internet Explorer is not accepting the redirection of Common Gateway Interface (CGI) information from a non-SSL server to an SSL server.
• "English (United States) [en-us]" is not the first item in the Internet Explorer's Preferred Language preference list.

andy625 09:50 01 Nov 05

Thanks Paul, I will try this out when I get home.

The pc was connected to the internet via a wireless card to my broadband router, the pc had never had a dialup installed since the reformat. Not sure about the language setting but the date is ok.

Will check tonight and let you know. If no luck I'll start another thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…