Laptop discolouration

Why wont it work 13:26 05 Dec 07

The palm rest around the touchpad on my laptop has become really discoloured. It really spoils the look of the laptop. It appears to be where I rest my hands. The laptop is only 8 months old and I would have never seen discolouration like this happen on a laptop before, it looks really quite ugly. There are blotches of really dark shiny silver (it's light metallic silver elsewhere). I emailed Asus and they 'think' that the warranty wouldn't cover it and said it would be £160 to change a bit of plastic! Is this right- or should it press that they do replace the plastic under warranty? It shouldn't discolour just from general use on a laptop so young should it? Here are some picks, although it doesn't show it too well. click here and click here

thanks

interzone55 14:01 05 Dec 07

I can't see something like that being covered in a warranty as it comes under general wear & tear, if you look through your warranty documentation (if you got any) it will outline what is covered and it generally only covers the bits that attach to the motherboard.

Can you not clean the plastic?

Why wont it work 14:03 05 Dec 07

I have tried cleaning it, but it looks as though the outer layer of paint has simply worn off or something. It's a bit sad really considering that it never leaves my desk and it generally cared for very well!

wee eddie 14:06 05 Dec 07

It sounds like this would come under the heading of "Fair Wear & Tear"

It could be caused by your cuffs or wrists rubbing, or lightly touching, the surface. I think that you would be hard pressed to get them to change their mind.

interzone55 14:10 05 Dec 07

You should see the state of some machines I've dealt with, fag burns on the screen and sticky stuff all over keyboards.

I can't speak for Asus, but where I worked if a clean & tidy laptop came in for a repair with marks around the touchpad we'd have found a clean palm rest out of the spares bin and replaced it. I'd say a part like that wouldn't cost much more than £10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…