Laptop with dial up modem

Guady 15:31 31 Oct 08

A friend is planning to buy a new laptop, but would prefer to continue using dial up connection - and not change to broadband. He has been told that all new laptops will come only with router (probably wireless) ready for broadband and will not be able to use his current dial up connection. Is this so? Or, if not, how will he be able to check before buying that any particular model can use dial up? His final question is - if he does have to go down the broadband route - can a laptop that is wireless enabled still be used with a wire into the phone line?
Really hope someone will be able to help us

Clapton is God 15:38 31 Oct 08

"he does have to go down the broadband route - can a laptop that is wireless enabled still be used with a wire into the phone line?"

Yes. His ISP will probably provide him with a BB USB modem

Belatucadrus 15:45 31 Oct 08

You can also get modems that'll fit in a PCMCIA slot.

MAJ 15:54 31 Oct 08

1. The laptop will not come with a router, it will come with an ethernet connection that will allow the user to connect to a router.

2. "...can a laptop that is wireless enabled still be used with a wire into the phone line?"

Yes it can, but he *must* have a dialup modem, either internally, or attached externally via USB, or as Belatucadrus has said, using a modem that'll fit in a PCMCIA slot

Switcher 18:36 31 Oct 08

I doubt if many laptops are sold ithout a dialup modem fitted. I believe that dialup connection is required in order to send Faxes. Any way as already mentioned a USB modem can be used.

Covergirl 19:15 31 Oct 08

and I was suprised to find it had a dial up modem. Came in handy once or twice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos