Laptop detects BT Homehub - but won't connect

SusanWalesNZ 16:49 21 Jan 12

I have an HP Compaq running Windows XP Professional - it detects our BT Homehub, but when I try to connect to the internet I get the blank page telling me that it can't connect. I have no idea what to do - advise please.

Ian in Northampton 17:02 21 Jan 12

Have you entered the WAP/WEP/security code?

SusanWalesNZ 10:22 22 Jan 12

Hi Ian..yes I have entered the security code

Jollyjohn 10:31 22 Jan 12

Good Morning.

If you connect an ethernet cable do you get a connection to the internet?

When you get the blank page saying you can't connect is there a box that says Diagnose connection problems? If so what happens if you allow Windows to diagnose problems?

onthelimit1 10:32 22 Jan 12

Make absolutely sure that you have the code correct - easy to miss an upper case letter, for example.

Forum Editor 10:37 22 Jan 12

Just to be clear - your laptop connects to the hub, but there's no Internet access. Is that the situation, or is the laptop not even connecting to the hub?

bremner 11:28 22 Jan 12

In addition to the previous questions - are you sure the wireless card in your Laptop support WPA2?

Please give the model number of the laptop.

Forum Editor 12:53 22 Jan 12

I've just realised that your machine must be connecting to the hub, or you wouldn't have entered the security key. Ignore my question.

lotvic 12:59 22 Jan 12

Please answer: As per Jollyjohn asked "If you connect an ethernet cable do you get a connection to the internet?"

SparkyJack 13:31 22 Jan 12

BT home hub- until I went over to Infinity - I did not think too deeply about the nature of a 'Home HUb- except possibley it was a type of router.

But since going over to Infinity and the Open Reach man installed the kit I found out that a Home hub is not a router but simply a connection box for ether net and wireless the router is another sort of animal altogether

Indeed BT sent a man in to change mine recently and it turns out to be another box screwed to the wall - to which the Home Hub connects.

So is what I have described simply an 'Infinity' thing or is there a Router Missing?

SusanWalesNZ 15:04 22 Jan 12

Unfortunately I don't have an ethernet cable - having gone wireless we have got rid of all the old cables. I have tried logging on again and run the "Diagnose Connection Problems" - the diagnostic log has the following - WinSock Diagnostic - Error attempting to validate the Winsock base providers:2 Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed. Redirecting user to support call. OK - what should I do now please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…