//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop Deal Advice

fitshase 22:37 05 May 03

Further to my thread click here, I am now looking out for a good deal on a new laptop.

The following are the requirements:-

- New laptop (not used/refurbished/etc.)

- At least a 1Ghz processor

- 20GB HDD minimum

- Modem and 10/100 LAN (not bothered about wi-fi)

- Internal 3&1/2 Floppy and a CD drive (not bothered about DVD)

- 14.1" TFT (1024x768)

- USB & PS2 (not bothered about USB2 and Firewire)

- Shared graphics (will not be playing games, etc.)

- Windows XP Pro

- Low in price (an be ex-VAT as it will be bought through company)

This machine will be used for general office documents, e-mail and internet surfing (hence the low spec).

I have seen one in PC World Business click here=(148151)&userid=&shop=PCWBD&path=PCWBD|computers%20&%20notebooks|Mobile%20Computing|Notebooks|COMPAQ%20Notebook%20Range|CPQMF252&code=CPQMF252&PageCat=ProductB which looks good (and cheap!).

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Fitshase

(I'll now highlight what I've typed and copy it as when I clicked on "Begin new subject for discussion" I got an error and lost everything so I've had to type this whole thing again!!!

1832bchs 14:33 06 May 03

Have a look at the Desknote 901click here>>Notebooks&start=1&count=10
I have just bought one and it is fantastic value for money.

1832bchs 14:36 06 May 03

Sorry, this is a better link.
click here

The Kestrel 14:51 06 May 03

If you have a local Staples store it is worth a look. They have some good laptop deals at the moment.

fitshase 17:51 06 May 03

Cheers for the link. That laptop looks good although it doesn't have a floppy drive or an internal battery. It also has a U.S layout keyboard.

I would rather pay that little extra to have everything internal.

Regards

Fitshase

1832bchs 23:06 06 May 03

As you say, no internal battery or floppy, however I found with my last laptop I never used the battery and as forthe floppy, that's not missed, however I do have an external usb one if i should need it. Also I don't find the USkeyboard a problem. For anyone on a tight budget it is ideal. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

fitshase 14:52 09 May 03

The Compaq laptop from PC World Business arrived today and I must say I am very impressed with it.

I have installed all of the necessary programs and everything is running smoothly on Win XP Pro.

Time to dispose of the old laptop now!

Cheers one and all for the advice.

Regards

Fitshase

Tenner 15:15 09 May 03

Try this comprehensive site, click here
they're an efficient outfit to deal with, and check Sir Radfordin's thread ( was just above yours at one point )

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…