Laptop Dead Pixels

dancers 21:18 21 Sep 06

In regard to Laptops are dead pixels acceptable when buying a new Laptop and if so how many and is the Retailer obliged to replace??

josie mayhem 21:45 21 Sep 06

You would need to talk to the supplier, as some will gaurantee no dead pixel's at a price...

But under normal standards up to 6 dead pixels anywhere on the screen is exceptable. that is unless you buy B grade and I'm not sure what the count is for this...

Admitantly dead pixels aren't as probmatic as they used to be hence cheaper TFT's, sometimes they can be gotten rid of by genterly rubbing the area with a damp cottonwool bud...

But I would always check with the supplier concerning this, and if poss get them to kick up the screen so you can check before buying...

josie mayhem 21:48 21 Sep 06

P.S

They are only abliged to replace if the count goes above the standard permented amount...

If you got 6 dead pixels right in the center of your screen then they wouldn't be obliged but if you have seven that could be any where then they are abliged, but check what they say is exceptable...

sean-278262 21:54 21 Sep 06

Also dont forget that you should try some of the other solutions including the Stuck pixel fixer.

click here

I have found most users dont know the difference between a dead, sticky and intermittant pixel so as you may find you have one of the better problems so have a go using that file. I used it on an LCD with 5 sticky pixels and I managed to get all but 2 fixed in the bottom of the screen which can only be seen on a black background.

silverous 08:45 22 Sep 06

I had a lot of frustration and arguments with PC World, Head Office and various consumer groups about this.

They don't tell you when you buy it that there might be flaws in it and that this would be acceptable, they tell you afterwards what "they" (the manufacturers) define as acceptable.

My argument was that I use a laptop for graphics and presentation work so a dead pixel or series of them looked unacceptable when working with clients and could impact graphics work (even to a small degree).

Their argument is that if they had to produce perfect screens then all laptop prices would have to go up. The process of production is flawed in that every screen cannot be made perfect, so they'd have to waste the bad ones pushing up prices. Not sure if they only use the 'bad' ones in cheaper laptops.

I suspect you could fight the case with the retailer/manufacturer but good luck, I gave up in the end.

David4637 13:37 22 Sep 06

I D/L the dead pixel fixer, which has an MP4 file extension (*.mp4). How do you get it to run on a PC? Thanks David

DieSse 15:39 22 Sep 06

This is a good write up about the subject in general, and identifies the classes of panels (not grades).

click here

and this is a good practical guide to what the referred to ISO standard allows.

click here

DieSse 15:42 22 Sep 06

PS - manufacturers don't have to conform to the ISO standard - some have their own standards - any standard the manufacturer conforms to should be available on request or on their website.

DieSse 15:49 22 Sep 06

Another look at the ISO standard

click here

and another

click here

Note that a"pixel" normally mean a group of three "sub-pixels" (red, green, blue) - though some documents seem to confusingly call a sub-pixel a pixel.

silverous 15:56 22 Sep 06

DieSse - my point is, people often won't know about these standards arbitrarily decided by the manufacturer, as I didn't, until they've already bought the product.

I didn't expect a dead pixel in a relatively expensive monitor and I felt that the retailer/manufacturer should replace that as a 'fault'. The idiot in Pc World I dealt with kept speaking over me saying "it's not a fault" every time I mentioned the word "fault". Well to me, as the customer, it was a fault based on my expectations. Perhaps my expectations were unreasonable however until you research the issue why would you expect a dead pixel or group of them?

DieSse 16:02 22 Sep 06

I agree with you, they should be "up-front" about the matter. I wasn't aiming to contradict your experiences - just providing the information that the poster will need.

An ISO standard is not an arbitrary standard, it's an agreed international one. Though manufacturers different ones certainly ar by definition arbitrary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant