Laptop dead - help!

lezperez 00:37 10 Mar 08

My friend has asked me to fix her laptop. Basically she switched it off at the power and has fried the windows installation - cant even get safe mode. Blue screen unmountable_boot_volume.

Unfortunately the dvdr drive has died as well as it wont boot from my xp pro cd (have tried 3)and theres no floppy drive!

So anyone got any ideas? She is buying a new laptop anyway but wants to get her files off.

RobCharles1981 00:48 10 Mar 08

unmountable_boot_volume:

Is usually a fault with the Hard Drive and not the DVD-Rom drive as you say as for the HDD its either buggered or it might be repairable look at this link:

click here

As you state you can power up can't you?

From the link I posted try doing a chkdsk /r

In order to do so.

If you have a Windows XP Disk that came with your lappy, Go into the Bios and make sure your your bootable from the CD-Drive, F10 To Save Changes, Make sure you have your XP Disk in, and go though as if your doing a repair install but don't Log into recovery console and log on with a password (if there is one) onces thats done, type this command in.

chkdsk/ r

It will check and correct any bad sectors on the disk.

lezperez 01:01 10 Mar 08

as i said the dvdr is dead so i cant boot from the xp cd so cant run anything.

Sheik Yerbouti 07:30 10 Mar 08

If she just wants to retrieve her files, maybe buy and external drive enclosure, install the old HDD in it, and access it via USB from new laptop. After that she could use it as extra storage/Backup drive.

Sheik Yerbouti 07:30 10 Mar 08

That should read......

maybe buy an external drive enclosure.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009